By Peter Freund
This attention-grabbing e-book assembles human tales approximately physicists and mathematicians. Remarkably, those tales cluster round a few normal issues having to do with the interplay among scientists, and with the influence of old occasions — resembling the appearance of fascism and communism within the 20th century — on scientists' habit. in short, yet lucidly, a few of the appealing technological know-how that introduced those scientists jointly within the first position is explained.
Author's website: http://freund9.googlepages.com/peterfreundwritings.
- Einstein as soon as Removed
- The judgment of right and wrong of Physics
- The Language of God
- Oswald Teichmüller and Nazi Science
- Scientists in Politics
- Jews in technological know-how. The Backlash
- Stalin and the Quantum
- Oppenheimer, Hero or Antihero?
- On and rancid the Map: Romanian Mathematics
- A short heritage of Space
- as good as chapters on Richard Feynman, E C G Stueckelberg, Emmy Noether, Andrei Sakharov, and others
Readership: basically normal readers, and especially theoretical physicists, mathematicians and excessive power experimental physicists.
Read or Download A Passion for Discovery PDF
Similar biographies & memoirs of scientists books
Schonland: Scientist and Soldier is a biography of Sir Basil Schonland FRS (1896-1972). Schonland used to be an immense contributor to twentieth-century British and Commonwealth technological know-how, either in peace and warfare. this isn't only a clinical biography, yet a biography that tells a lot of a hugely put scientist and administrator, of the expanding engagement among technological know-how and the army, and of fixing military-diplomatic relationships among Britain and South Africa.
Ce livre décrit le parcours professionnel d’un astronome québécois reconnu mondialement, Jean-René Roy, en parallèle avec l’évolution fascinante des connaissances astronomiques du milieu du XXe siècle à nos jours. Un témoignage hors du commun : « Je suis astronome. J’ai crossé plus d’un millier de nuits à observer étoiles et galaxies au télescope.
Benoît Mandelbrot è stato uno dei più grandi matematici del Novecento: il suo approccio visionario e assolutamente originale alla geometria ha aperto l. a. strada a un intero nuovo filone di ricerca noto come teoria dei frattali. Incurante delle iniziali diffidenze della comunità scientifica, ha dato forma a qualcosa in bilico tra il bidimensionale e il tridimensionale, colpendo l’immaginazione anche dei non matematici.
Frank Julian Sprague invented a process for allotting electrical energy to streetcars from overhead wires. inside a 12 months, electrical streetcars had all started to switch horsecars, sparking a revolution in city transportation. Sprague (1857–1934) was once an American naval officer became inventor who labored in brief for Thomas Edison sooner than notable out on his personal.
- Bear Wrangler: Memoirs of an Alaska Pioneer Biologist
- Julian Assange: Autobiografía no autorizada (Spanish Edition)
- Charles Doolittle Walcott, Paleontologist
- Joseph II.: Reformer auf dem Kaiserthron (Beck'sche Reihe) (German Edition)
- Frederick Novy and the Development of Bacteriology in Medicine (Critical Issues in Health and Medicine)
Additional info for A Passion for Discovery
A Passion for Discovery by Peter Freund